Friday, June 29, 2012

Why group therapy works

I have worked in this field since 2005 and see a common misconception by patients who enter residential treatment for addiction.  Everybody wants to know “Why group therapy works?”  Well, these patients are not alone in this thinking.  Let me share with you what these patients learn while they are in treatment to be true.

Addiction is a disease.  It is cunning, baffling, and powerful.  It loves to get people alone and trick them into believing their own lies.  DENIAL can represent: I Don’t Even kNow that I’m Lying!  Your disease wants more than anything to get you alone and have you rationalize, justify, and minimize it’s effects on your life and the ones you love.  Peers who share this disease understand and relate to the powerful effects of this disease and are there in group to call you out on your stinkin thinkin!  You can often see something in someone sharing their experience in group that your disease will not allow you to see in yourself in early recovery.  The group conscience is here to help you out until your sober thinking can kick it. Your disease wants you to think you are different than everybody else.  This is called feeling terminally unique.  I want you to know, you are not alone.  There are people just like you, who can help you restore yourself.

So… when you find yourself in a group saying I can’t share this in group or nobody will understand me or nobody did things as bad as I did.  Remember that you are in the right place!  Group is where the magic happens.  I am privileged to see these miracles everyday!

Tara McGahee, MS, LPC, MAC
Primary Therapist

If you or someone you know is struggling with a substance abuse problem. We, Vince Carter Sanctuary, offer Medically Supervised Detoxification, Residential Alcohol/Drug Treatment, Partial/Day Treatment for alcohol and drugs and Intensive Outpatient Treatment. You can contact us at http://www.vincecartersanctuary.org/ or 800 478 0331.


facebooktwitterlinkedinyoutubeVCS Blog 

No comments:

Post a Comment